JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 162


Facebook SF Abogados Twitter SF Abogados Linkedin SF Abogados
ES | CA | EN | RUS |  中文
Facebook SF AbogadosTwitter SF AbogadosLinkedin SF Abogados


Thursday, 05 January 2017 10:53

NIE, Residency Card, Visa, ... Is it all the same?

As a result of errors in translation or use of words from other countries when we refer to our order, we often confuse terms that do not mean the same thing. This case is important in foreign documents.

Today we analyze the most common terms used by foreigners in Spain:

  • Short-term visa: This visa (also known as a Schengen Visa) allows a stay or transit in Spain and in the rest of the countries that are part of the Schengen territory for a maximum duration of 90 days. The Schengen Visa is valid for the following countries: Spain, Germany, Denmark, Poland, France, Portugal, Finland, Hungary, Italy, Austria, Sweden, Slovak Republic, Belgium, Greece, Estonia, Slovenia, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Latvia , Czech Republic, Lithuania and Malta, as well as Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
  • NIE or Foreign Identity Number: The NIE is a number granted by the Spanish State to foreigners who, due to economic, professional or social interests, must relate to Spain. It is managed in the Police Stations of the National Police, and it is necessary to fill out the Model EX15.
  • Long-term visa: A long-stay visa entitles you to reside, reside and work, study or research in Spain. It is necessary for all foreigners wishing to enter Spain for this purpose, except for citizens of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.
  • TIE or Foreign Identity Card: The Foreign Identity Card is an official document that allows foreigners in legal status in Spain to prove their status.

Thus, the TIE serves to prove the legal permanence of a foreigner in Spain for a term of more than six months and serves as official identification before any Spanish authority.

Writings SF Lawyers